My post isn't entirely relevant to the one over at Rocks In My Dryer, but I was inspired to write about a child experience. Growing up, for the longest time, my family only had one car. A Saab. It's just fun to say. Say it with me...a SAAAAAAAAAAAAB. It was a standard transmission, two-door, silver Saab. No idea what model. I learned how to shift with my mom driving...the ceiling lining hung down around us, and we managed to cram three kids in the back seat. Maybe four...can't remember. It was wonderful. :)My dad took it to work most days, and we only got it one or two days a week to run errands, going to the grocery with bags crowded around us and in the back hatch. I think at some point we closed it with a bungee cord, because we bought extra food that week.
When we didn't have a car, we rode our bikes *everywhere*...we went to the local Eckerd, where we perused the clearance section at least twice a week. We went to the grocery, loading up the kid trailer with the latest toddler and the aforementioned groceries. We went to the library, carrying books in our backpacks.
It is amazing how times have changed, isn't it? These days, people don't want to walk or ride bikes short distances. I heard recently that a neighbor that lives about 7 or 8 houses down from the neighborhood pool drives her car to swim practice every day. That's less than a quarter mile, I think.
These are fond memories for me...the stop and go, the local Jack in the Box, the fire station, the Willie's, the Bank of America, the local hair salon...
I don't remember the last time I biked somewhere far away...maybe I should.
1 comment:
Hmph. It wasn't everyday, I had a reason... and I walked everyday that I didn't see you. So there. by the way, I was a part of the "ride-your-bikes-to-kroger-in-the-rain-and -have-the-power-go-out" crew...I even remember what I was wearing that day. so....THERE! LOL
--falsely accused.
Post a Comment