Thursday, April 10, 2008

Volunteerism...it does a body good...

I love volunteering. There's something about doing something for someone else, for *free*, that just gives me a warm fuzzy. AND I get to experience all kinds of cool things. I grew up volunteering...it was just something my family did...in all different avenues. We cleaned elderly and infirm people's houses, we wrapped presents, we helped disabled children go for rides in airplanes, we read books, we shelved books...and I continue to volunteer constantly in my adulthood.

I ran into someone today that hadn't heard that I was a member of the volunteer fire department. She said that she admired me...and she'd love to do that...but she didn't "have time"...

Honestly, I think time is just like money. It needs to be budgeted. If you have time to watch tv or that favorite movie once a week, you have time to volunteer. If you have time to brush your teeth twice a day, you have time to pray for a friend. Oprah calls it multi-tasking! *grin*

I guess I'm a little bit sad, because this society is quite selfish...and they don't know what they're missing. You don't have time to volunteer? Au contraire, my friend!!!...you don't have time not to...

And that's just my two cents. I can't wait to volunteer with my kids. I can NOT wait. Look out world! We're changing minds...one village at a time.

I guess I'm being sentimental...and inspirational...all at the same time. Time for a nap.

Cheerio!

No comments: